When it comes to who I am...

2012年10月23日 星期二

How The World Started--- A Brief Introduction of The Greek's World View

      According to Greek mythology, before anything in this world appeared, there existed only "chaos". The word "chaos" was derived from the ancient Greek word "khaos".  It is a neutral word and it's the name of the first god of the world---Chaos. Unlike all other masculine gods and feminine goddesses, Chaos doesn't have a specific gender. Chaos is the great void of nothingness as well as the primary source of everything. Chaos then gave birth without a mate to Gaia, the Earth Goddess, Erebos, the god that stands for Darkness and Nux, the goddess of Night. Perhaps all the statements above sounds quite unreasonable and weird to most of us. Yet it reflects the way how the Greek view the origin of the world. The earth, the darkness and the night all came into the world after chaos.
     Now, let's take a look at Gaia's descendants. Ouranos, the Sky God and Pontos, the god of Water were both born from Gaia without a mate. Ouranos later married Gaia and they produced the Titans, the Cyclops and the Hekatonchires. Encouraged by his mother, the youngest Titan, Kronos, stood up against Ouranos and overthrew his father as the new king of the whole world. Ever since then, the sky became separated from the earth and the reign of the Titans then began.
    

5 則留言:

  1. Wao~ you must have lots of interests in Greek mythology. I never read these stories before, but I did read Percy Jackson when I was in high school. At beginning, the first impression Greek mythology gave me was about gods and goddess’ boring dramatic love and hatred. When I started to read Percy Jackson, the writer brought me a wonderfully vivid imagination of these childish gods and goddess. Maybe you can write stories based on Greek mythology just like Joseph Campbell!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thank you for your reply:) Though I very much doubt that I can write exciting stories on the basis of Greek mythology haha><
      I'm glad that the Percy Jackson series gave you a different but brilliant impression on Greek mythology. Actually, that series of novel taught me lots of things back in highschool when I first read it. It helped me cope with the hardships I had faced that time.
      Last, I sincerely hope that you will enjoy your time in the world of mythology:)

      刪除
  2. It is really unbelievable that Chaos was the first god of all! That's something I had never heard of. All the stories you talked about in this post are new for me. It's really nice to know something more. However, I would have a little suggestion for you. If you have more time to write your post, I would love to see some pictures of them. I think the stories will impress people more. :)

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thank you for your advice:) Actually, I have trouble even with putting my headshot onto the blog><.
      But this week, I finally found a way to upload pictures and insert them into the post~~ Though I still can not upload my headshot, the post with pictures did seem better! Thanks for your advice again:)

      刪除
  3. Hey dear Emily I have read this tale by coincidence! It is common that most people know the story about Zeus and his romance while have no idea how the universe began.XD I love Greek mythology, too! It is particularly special that the gods and goddesses in Greek mythology have vivid and human-like characteristics. But sometimes I pity people live in that era because their fate were often influenced by those emotional deities. I anxiously look forward to your next post!!

    回覆刪除